VT Football vs. Georgia Tech

Dalton Keene (29) catches a pass in the first down against Georgia Tech, Nov. 16, 2019.

Football season is less than three months away and the Hokies are looking forward to a competitive schedule. Games may look a little different this year due to the effects of Covid-19, and it still has not been determined whether fans will be able to cheer on the Hokies in person. Despite these difficulties, Tech’s schedule has been set. 

The Hokies were 8-5 overall last year and look to improve this upcoming season. The first home game for the Hokies will be against the Liberty Flames (8-5, 3-1) on Sept. 5. The Flames fell to the Hokies last season with a final score of 67-58.

For their second home matchup, the Hokies will face Penn State (11-2, 7-2) on Sept. 12. The Nittany Lions are in the top 25 for the preseason and will likely present the most difficult battle for Tech. ESPN has given 71.4 - 28.6 odds in favor of Penn State.

Tech has its first away game on Sept. 19 at Middle Tennessee (4-8,3-5). This will be the first meeting between the two teams and Tech’s only road game against a school not in the ACC.

The Hokies return home on Sept. 26 to face North Alabama (4-7), a team who recently joined division I FCS football. Their meeting will be the first time the Lions will face an ACC opponent. ESPN has given Virginia Tech 99.8% odds of winning.

Georgia Tech (3-9, 2-6) will travel to Lane Stadium to take on the Hokies on Oct. 3. When these schools met in 2019, the Hokies pulled off a shutout with a final score of 45-0. This was the first win for the Hokies against the Yellow Jackets since 2015 and Tech looks to start a win streak against them this season.

Following Georgia Tech the Hokies will face the University of North Carolina (7-6, 4-4) in Chapel Hill on Oct. 10. The historical game these two played in the 2019 football season, which ended in a Virginia Tech victory of 43-41 after six overtimes, will be on the mind of every Hokie fan when they face off again.

Tech will then play Boston College (6-7, 4-4) on Worsham Field on Oct. 22. Virginia Tech has fallen to the Eagles the past two seasons and looks forward to possibly achieving redemption.

Virginia Tech faces Louisville (8-5, 5-3) for an away matchup Oct. 31. The teams have only played each other seven times since 1979 and the Hokies have won five of those games. 

Still on the road, the Hokies play the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-5, 4-4) on Nov. 6. Pitt fell to Tech 28-0 which granted the Hokies another shutout for the 2019 season. The last 10 matchups between the schools resulted in four wins for Tech and six losses. 

Returning home, Tech faces the Miami Hurricanes (6-7, 4-4) on Nov. 14. The two teams have competed against one another on the field every season for the past 28 years. Virginia Tech has been able to win 15 of these games and looks to secure another this upcoming season.

On Nov. 21 the Hokies will meet Duke (5-7, 3-5) in Durham, North Caroline. Virginia Tech looks to redeem itself for the 10-45 loss to the Blue Devils this past season. This loss broke the Hokies' win streak of three games against Duke since 2016.

Lastly, but certainly not least, the Hokies will take on their ultimate rival UVA (9-5, 6-2) at home on Nov. 28. The 2019 season was the first time the Hokies have lost to UVA since 2003. This is Tech's opportunity to once again secure their stance as Virginia’s top football school.

Tech will face some daunting challenges this season, only one of which will be their opponents. The main game that may present as a challenge for Tech will be against Penn State. The Hokies look to improve in the 2020-21 season and dominate the field.

Virginia Tech’s 2020-21 Football Schedule

9/5 vs. Liberty

9/12 vs. Penn State

9/19 at Middle Tenn.

9/26 vs. North Alabama

10/3 vs. Georgia Tech

10/10 at North Carolina

10/22 vs. Boston College

10/31 at Louisville

11/6 at Pitt

11/14 vs Miami

11/21 at Duke

11/28 vs UVA