Baseball v. ETSU

The Virginia Tech baseball team bounced back from a Friday loss to win back-to-back games against the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns to get the Hokies’ record to 3-3 on the year. It was the first series the team has had this season, and the first time it has ever played against Louisiana. 

It was pitcher Ian Seymour who starred in the rubber match on Sunday afternoon for Virginia Tech, tossing six shutout innings while only allowing two hits and striking out 11 batters in the 3-0 victory. 

In the series opener on Friday afternoon, the Hokies’ offense produced only three hits and zero runs against Louisiana pitcher Conor Angel. The Ragin’ Cajuns scored two unearned runs in the fifth inning to steal the first game, 2-0.

On Saturday, Virginia Tech would bounce back with another stellar pitching performance, which was a theme over the weekend, giving up only one run over eight innings and striking out 16 batters amongst six different pitchers. The Hokies held off a late Ragin’ Cajun rally in the bottom of the ninth to win 3-2 to tie the series up 1-1. 

The Hokies scored three runs in unorthodox fashion in the game; an outfield error and a fielder's choice in the first inning, and a wild pitch that first baseman Carson Taylor would score in the sixth inning turned out to be the game-winning run. 

Sunday was another outing where runs were hard to come by for both teams, but the Hokies still notched eight hits on the day, including a Reagan Teegarden RBI double in the second inning. 

Virginia Tech’s pitching staff demonstrated a top-notch performance over the weekend, allowing only 19 hits and one earned run; they also struck out 41 batters in 27 innings pitched.

The Hokies will look to get above .500 for the first time this season against the Radford Highlanders on Wednesday Feb. 26 at 4:00 p.m.