Track & Field

Virginia Challenge – April 21–23

Antonio Lopez Segura had himself a day in the men’s 5,000-meter invite run. Lopez Segura had a career best in his 5k in Charlottesville, Virginia, running 13:38.22. He dropped over 20 seconds from his previous best and now has the second-fastest time in school history and sixth-best in the ACC this season.

Chauncey Chambers made his outdoor debut this season and made his presence known in the process. The All-American triple jumper leaped his outdoor career best in the triple jump with a mark of 16.02m. He placed second overall in the meet, moving to ninth place in the NCAA and second in the ACC this season.

Sara Killinen finished out as the top collegiate athlete in the women’s hammer throw on Thursday evening. Killinen threw 63.31m to earn the top spot among the collegiate athletes.

In the invitational sections of the 800m dash, both Seb Anthony and Hannah Ballowe had strong performances. In the women’s 800, Ballowe ran 2:05.88, placing eighth in the program's history and fourth in the ACC this season. For the men’s 800, Anthony cracked into the top 10 of the ACC this season after running a season best of 1:49.06.

Ben Fleming placed fourth in the men’s 3,000m steeplechase. Fellow teammate Ben Nibbelink had a personal best in the same event, shaving off over 15 seconds from his old best time.

The 1,500m run saw a lot of PRs on both the men’s and women’s sides. On the men’s side, Ethan Mills, Tyler Leeser, Dave Whitfield and Azaan Dawson had their career-best runs. Mills led the pack of Hokies with a ninth-place finish, running 3:44.38. For the women, Ava Hassebrock, Grace Boone, Ballowe and Ashley Smith had personal best runs as well. Hassebrock led her group with a seventh-place finish, running 4:23.04.

KJ Moore, Hailey Huston Myles and EJ Bell had notable performances in the jumps as well. Moore placed fourth in the men’s long jump. Huston Myles had her outdoor career best in the women’s triple jump, now having the fourth-best mark in program history. Bell jumped his season best and placed fifth in the men’s high jump invitational section.

UofSC Open – April 23

All-American and indoor national champion Rachel Baxter had yet another successful meet as she won the women’s pole vault in Columbia. Baxter cleared her outdoor best of 4.53m to win the invitational section. Fellow teammate and Georgia transfer Julia Fixsen finished third among collegiate athletes as she cleared 4.33m.

The Virginia Tech track & field team will go cross-country next weekend. The team is scheduled to split up and attend four meets: the UNF Invitational in Jacksonville, Florida; Torrin Lawrence Memorial in Athens, Georgia; Desert Heat Classic in Tucson, Arizona; and the Virginia Grand Prix in Charlottesville, Virginia.