VT Football vs Syracuse

Nonconference records do not always determine the level of success that teams will find in conference play. That is the case for both Virginia Tech (4–4, 2–2 ACC) and Boston College (4–4, 0–4 ACC). These longtime rivals will try to turn their seasons around when they meet on Friday night in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.

The Hokies snapped their three-game losing streak last week with a 26–17 win over Georgia Tech on the road. Quarterback Braxton Burmeister and the offense finally found some footing, including Tré Turner having a career day, catching seven passes for 187 yards and a touchdown. Moving forward, though, the Hokies must be able to finish drives and not have to settle for field goals, as they settled for four in the win last week. Considering their up-and-down defensive performances lately, trading field goals for touchdowns will not work against better teams.

Boston College began the season 4–0, but the wheels have fallen off in conference play. After a close loss at Clemson where they coughed up a late chance to win, the Eagles have been mostly noncompetitive in losses to NC State, Louisville and Syracuse. Quarterback Dennis Grosel has started in place of the injured Phil Jurkovec, and the team has managed just 40 points total during its four-game losing streak.

Boston College has a solid defense that continues to hold its weight. Wide receiver Zay Flowers remains a big play threat for the Eagles, but their offensive struggles should play right into the hands of the Hokies’ defense. If the Hokies find some rhythm offensively, then they should win this game, but their inconsistency will keep this game close and low-scoring.

Score prediction: Virginia Tech 20, Boston College 17