2022.09.16.Keegan deBernard - Collegiate Times.0037.JPG

Nick Blacklock (17) tries to stop a possible pass by Wake Forest, Sept. 16 2022

Virginia Tech (0–5–1, 0–2 ACC) remains winless this season, falling 0–1 Friday night against No. 2 Wake Forest (7–0).

Midway through the first, it looked like Wake Forest was going to end the 0–0 stalemate, but Welnilton Da Silva Jr. ran across the net to make a commanding save and elevate the packed Thompson Field stadium to their feet.

After battling for the opener, Wake Forest finally found the back of the net to score the lone goal of the match. After a punch from Ben Martino ended up back in Wake Forest’s possession, Colin Thomas capitalized on this opportunity, ultimately winning the game for the Demon Deacons. 

The Hokies had a promising chance in the second with a corner and 36 minutes left of play, but they were blocked of their opportunity for an equalizer. 

Wake Forest tried to extend their lead with a little over six minutes remaining but ended up shooting it high, hitting the left crossbar.

With 17 seconds on the clock, the Hokies received a free kick, but Danny Flores was unable to find the back of the net.

The Demon Deacons had 16 shots to the Hokies’ five, and their goalkeeper, Trace Alphin, had two saves for the night. Martino had seven.

Tech will still be searching for its first win of the season when it takes on Longwood on Tuesday at home.