mens tennis

On Wednesday, March 27, the Virginia Tech men’s tennis team hit the road for an away match against Virginia Commonwealth University. By a final match score of 4–2, the Hokies notched their first away win of the season.

As the match went underway, the Hokies rolled to two easy doubles wins and claimed the doubles point. The first-seeded team of Henrik Korsgaard and Jason Kros dropped its match in a closely fought 6–4 affair. Sealing the doubles point for Virginia Tech were the pairs of Ryan Kros/Brandon Perez and Alex Ribeiro/Carlo Donato, who rolled to respective 6–3 and 6–1 wins.

After a short break at the Thalhimer Tennis Center, the singles matches kicked off. The No.1 seeds for the Rams and Hokies faced off on court one, where Jason Kros locked into a back and forth match with VCU’s Rayane Stable. Stable took the first set 6–1 before Kros stormed back to level the game with a 6–0 win in the second set.

The No.1 match was the only match to be chalked as a “Did Not Finish,” as the majority of the rest of the Hokies’ lineup took care of business. At No. 3, Ribeiro added to his doubles victory as he rolled over Inigo Torre Martin of the Rams in straight sets, 6–2, 6–3. In the five-seed match, Perez dropped Inaki Rivero Crespo 6–4, 6–4 which put the Hokies one win away from clinching the team win.

Korsgaard provided that last win by avenging his doubles loss. The 6-foot-5 Danish junior squeaked past Arvid Noren 7–5, 6–3 and gave the home win to the Hokies.

This win was the Hokies’ first away win of the season, bringing them to a season total of 13–5. Virginia Tech will return home to Blacksburg to take on an ACC opponent in Boston College. That match will take place on Friday, March 29, at 2 p.m. at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center.