VT Volleyball vs. Duke

Marisa Cerchio (19) and Talyn Jackson (23) attempt to block a Duke hit. The Hokies lost 2–3 against Duke, Oct. 21, 2018.

Virginia Tech volleyball (10–16, 1–13 ACC) is back on a losing streak, having lost three straight matches, with the Duke Blue Devils (15–10, 6–8 ACC) being the newest addition. The Hokies got swept by the Blue Devils, 3–0. Virginia Tech has only won six sets during conference play thus far, with three of those sets coming against the Virginia Cavaliers in its only ACC victory.

The Hokies kept it close in the first two sets, losing 25–22 in both. They were down and trying to play catch up most of the first set, but could not string together a comeback. Tech had no defensive answers for Duke’s Georgia Stavrinides and Ade Owokoniran, who took turns getting kills in the first set.

A lot of attacking and service errors occurred for Virginia Tech in the second set. When the Hokies were up 18–17, they had three straight attacking errors that led to the Blue Devils being up 20–18 and ultimately cost them that set. They also had three service errors happen earlier in the set.

After competing so hard in the two sets, Virginia Tech just could not keep up with Duke, losing the third and final set 25–17. The Hokies allowed the Blue Devils to hit .519 in the third set.

Despite the loss, sophomore Brie Postema stood out as she led the team in assists, dishing out 27 of the team’s 30 assists.

With loss No. 16 now in the books, the Hokies move to 10–16 on the season and 1–13 in conference play. With four games left in the season, Virginia Tech could be looking at its worst regular season record since 2017, where they went 10–21. The team will come back home to Blacksburg to play the North Carolina Tar Heels (18–6, 7–6 in the ACC) on Nov. 12 at 4 p.m. The Hokies played the Tar Heels earlier this season and lost to them 3–0.