Golf OTCC

Courtesy of HokieSports.

The Virginia Tech men’s golf team turned in an efficient score of 19-under 821, earning a third place finish among 15 teams in the Old Town Club Collegiate.

The Hokies sent five golfers to Winston-Salem and were paced by sophomore Kobe Valociek, who recorded his first-ever top-five finish with a team-low of 201 (-9) through three rounds. 

Valociek shot a 67 in round one, a 68 in round two and capped it off with a 66 in round three that included an ace on the second hole par-3. 

Virginia Tech worked its way up the leaderboard in the third round after entering the day in sixth place, shooting a second-best 272 (-8) on Tuesday. Valociek, senior Drew Brockwell and junior Daniel Azallion all shot in the 60s in the final round, their lowest scores of the tournament. 

Sophomore Charlie Hanson tied for 19th by shooting a 207 (-3), while senior Connor Burgess shot a 209 (-1) and led the team in birdies with 13. 

Host Wake Forest won the tournament by shooting a 35-under 805, led by Alex Fitzpatrick and Michael Brennan who tied for first with a 198 (-12). 

After playing two tournaments in September, the Hokies have just under two weeks to prepare for the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate in Jonesborough, Tennessee, before the fall season concludes on Oct. 17.