2019 ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships

Hokies' Rachel Pocratsky (5) keeps her pace up with the rest of the runners in the Women's 800m prelims at Rector Field House, Feb. 22, 2019.

April 25

Nearly a week removed from the Duke Invitational in Durham, North Carolina, and the War Eagle Classic in Auburn, Alabama, the Virginia Tech track & field team looked ready to compete in one of the most prestigious track meets in the nation, Penn Relays. This year they are celebrating 125 years of the Penn Relays as of April 25. Franklin Field has been home to many outstanding performances for over a century and the Hokies look to add to the legacy of the meet.

On day one, Virginia Tech women’s distance medley team — junior Sarah Edwards, freshman Nykah Smith, senior Shannon Quinn and senior Rachel Pocratsky — ran a solid 11:11 and placed sixth out of the 14 other teams. Edwards ran a 3:28.28 for the 1200 meter, which she had fourth place as the first leg.

Sprinter Smith ran a 54.29 in the 400, mid-distance runner Quinn ran a 2:10.53 and Pocratsky finished out the medley with a 4:37.91 in her 1600 meter run.

April 26

The Virginia Tech Hokies had their fair share of impressive performances in Friday’s competition.

Freshman hurdler Miles Green had his best personal performance in the 400 meter hurdles. He ran an impressive 51.52 and placed third place overall in the meet.

The relay teams also had productive days, the men’s 4x100 meter relay team composed of junior Joseph Tay, freshman Jacory Patterson, junior Michael Davenport and freshman Cole Beck ran 40.57 and placed sixth out of 59 other teams. The men’s 4x400 meter relay team made up of Green, Davenport, sophomore distance runner Bashir Mosavel-Lo and Patterson, ran an impressive 3:09.11 and placed eighth overall. The group advanced on to the finals on Saturday as they put up the third fastest 4x400 meter relay time in school history.

For the men’s distance medley they were able to capture a top eight finish with the time of 9:53.14. The men’s distance medley relay team was formed of freshman Antonio Lopez Segura (3:03.27), freshman Hans Gallagher (49.68), freshman Matthias Cannon (1:52.24), and junior Fitsum Seyoum (4:07.96).

April 27

At the last and final day of the 125th Penn Relays, Virginia Tech put up strong performances to finish out the prestigious meet.

The women’s 4x800 meter relay team of Quinn (2:11.65), Edwards (2:08.74), junior Sara Freix (2:09.60) and Pocratsky (2:04.40) put on a stellar performance finishing out with 8:34.38 and claimed second place overall. The women’s 4x800 meter relay team also ran the second fastest 4x800 meter in school history.

Hokies' Sara Freix (11) keeps a balanced pace during the Women 5000m finals at Rector Field House, Feb. 22, 2019.

The men’s 4x100 meter relay team composed of Tay, Patterson, Davenport and Beck competed in the finals and took third place overall with the time of 40.16. The men’s 4x100 meter relay team was rewarded with gold watches as they were the best Eastern team in the 4x100 meter relay this year.

In the Hokies’ final event for the meet, the men’s 4xMile relay team put an impressive performance with the time of 16:45.83 and placed fourth overall in the meet. The men’s 4xMile relay team was made up with redshirt junior Jack Joyce (4:09.2), redshirt junior Peter Seufer (4:09.1), redshirt freshman Ben Fleming (4:14.9) and Mosavel-Lo (4:12.6).

After this meet, the Virginia Tech Hokies will travel over to Lynchburg, Virginia, for the Liberty Twilight Qualifier meet on Wednesday, May 1. This is followed by the Tennessee Challenge in Knoxville, Tennessee, Saturday, May 4. The Tennessee Challenge meet will finish out Virginia Tech’s track & field regular season.