VT vs. UVA

Virginia Tech's Justin Robinson (5) scores a point for the Hokies against the Cavaliers, Jan. 15, 2019.

While he didn’t hear his name called during the NBA Draft, Justin Robinson quickly found a place to call home in the nation’s capital after agreeing to a deal with the Washington Wizards as reported by Shams Charania. The deal is a three-year contract with substantial guarantees.

A Manassas native, Robinson will have the rare opportunity to play key minutes for his hometown team to start his young NBA career.

The Wizards were one of a few teams that displayed interest in Robinson throughout the pre-draft process, having him in for a visit to their practice facility in Congress Heights, D.C., June 7.

Robinson will join a Wizards team that’s fresh off a turbulent 32–50 season where they finished 11th in the Eastern Conference. The Wizards currently have just one point guard under contract for next season in veteran John Wall, making the position a particularly major need for them as they look forward to the start of free agency as a way to fill in spots at the position.

In the meantime, Robinson comes into D.C. with 125 games of collegiate experience in the ACC, where he averaged 11.1 points per game and 4.5 assists per game in his career. He’ll have an opportunity to use that experience to his advantage as the Wizards look for depth at the point.

Robinson was the second Hokie to find a home in the NBA after Nickeil Alexander-Walker was selected No. 17 overall to the New Orleans Pelicans earlier in the evening. Small forward Ahmed Hill will also be a Hokie to keep an eye on as he looks to sign with a team after going undrafted along with Robinson.

Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.