VT vs. Miami ACC MBB

Kerry Blackshear Jr. (24) nails a slam dunk against Miami during the ACC Tournament, March 13, 2019.

Forward Kerry Blackshear Jr. is the latest Hokie to enter the transfer portal after the conclusion of the 2018–19 basketball season and departure of former head coach Buzz Williams. He has also entered his name in the 2019 NBA draft and will explore his options with the league while also discussing with new head coach Mike Young the possibilities of continuing to play at Virginia Tech.

Blackshear graduated from Tech in December, meaning he would be immediately eligible to play for another school without having to sit out a year.

The absence of Blackshear on the court would be a huge loss for Virginia Tech; he has not played less than 17 minutes in any game throughout the past season. The 6’10” big man averaged 14.9 points and 7.5 rebounds a game which earned him All-ACC second team honors. Offense was often run through him in the paint.

Blackshear was able to greatly develop his game during Justin Robinson’s injury leave in most of ACC play. Blackshear shot a career-high 29 points against Pittsburgh in mid-February while Robinson was not on the floor.

Blackshear’s father reported to The Roanoke Times that Virginia Tech is still at the top of his list; he just wants to consider options that will best allow him to be successful in the NBA, Blackshear’s ultimate goal. Blackshear has not yet proved himself to be a first-round NBA draft pick.