VT vs. Miami MBB

Kerry Blackshear Jr. (24) hangs on to the rim after a dunk, March 8, 2019

Virginia Tech basketball star Kerry Blackshear Jr. is reportedly transferring to the Florida Gators next season as a graduate transfer. The former Hokie big man was arguably the most sought-after player in the transfer pool this offseason.

While many predicted Blackshear Jr. would  leave Tech in the offseason, this is a major blow to Mike Young and the Hokies. 

Blackshear Jr. averaged 14.9 points and 7.5 rebounds last season and was a dominant post player during Tech’s historic tournament run.

Following the departure of former head coach Buzz Williams, Wabissa Bede and Landers Nolley chose to remove themselves from the transfer portal and stay in Blacksburg. However, Blackshear Jr. chose to pursue his final season of eligibility with the Gators in the SEC.

Florida has a history of Virginia Tech players transferring to Gainesville as Blackshear Jr. follows the footsteps of Dorian Finney-Smith and Jalen Hudson.

Young and the Hokies will look to returning forward P.J. Horne and 2019 recruit John Ojiako to fill the void in the Tech frontcourt. Wofford transfer Keve Aluma will sit out this season due to the NCAA’s transfer rules.

Blackshear Jr. will be able to play immediately for the Gators as a graduate transfer. The Orlando native joins head coach Mike White and a Florida team that made the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament last season.