Cassell Coliseum

Cassell Coliseum, where Virginia Tech home basketball games take place, June 20, 2017. 

In what’s been a disastrous offseason for Virginia Tech basketball, with the departure of Buzz Williams leading to numerous recruits decommitting and current players entering the transfer portal, the team received a huge win as forward Landers Nolley announced his intent to stay at the school on his Instagram account Wednesday afternoon.

Nolley announced his intent to enter the transfer portal on April 8, just five days after Williams announced his departure for the head coaching position at Texas A&M. Nolley was Williams’ prized recruit last season, coming to Blacksburg as a four-star athlete and the 15th best shooting guard in the country according to 247Sports.

Despite the high expectations surrounding Nolley, he never got a chance to see the court last season due to issues surrounding his ACT score that were never cleared by the NCAA. He was ultimately redshirted, with the hopes of him being a key contributor next season for a team looking to find a new identity after losing Justin Robinson, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Ty Outlaw and Ahmed Hill.

With Kerry Blackshear and Wabissa Bede already in the transfer portal and four-star recruit Anthony Harris being granted a release from his letter-of-intent, Nolley’s decision to stay is a major win for Virginia Tech basketball as they head into a rebuilding year next season.

Assistant Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.