Sara Freix Alumni Invitational

Senior Sara Freix sprints during the Alumni Invitational, Sept. 20, 2019. 

Both the Virginia Tech men’s and women’s cross country teams won their respective races on Friday at the Alumni Invite on Virginia Tech’s own Buford Meredith Cross Country Course. This meet was also the first Hokies4Hokies event, where students could win a free T-shirt for attending, as well as enter their names into a raffle for a cooler if they attend three total Hokies4Hokies events.

The men’s team was led by four-time ACC champion and three-time All-American Peter Seufer, a redshirt junior, who took third overall in the 8-kilometer race with a time of 24:44.3. Seufer was followed closely by redshirt junior Jack Joyce, and ACC steeplechase champion Fits Seyoum, who finished fourth and fifth respectively. Bashir Mosalev-Lo, the 2019 ACC 800-meter champion and a two-time second team All-American finished in eighth, while Will Griffen crossed the line only seven seconds later to take 10th place. The Hokies took the win over a field of talented teams including ACC teams Florida State, Clemson and Miami. Virginia Tech scored 30 points to top Florida State’s second-place finish of 35 points.

On the women’s side, senior Sara Freix took home her first career win in a cross country race, crossing the line in 20:45.8 to beat Clemson’s Logan Morris, who ran 20:50.1. Freix was followed closely by four-time ACC Champion and four-time All-American Sarah Edwards. The senior ended up finishing in third. Kyra Lopez, a fifth-year transfer from Boise State who was All-Region in the West region, finished in fourth place. Freshman Lindsey Butler and Junior Ellie Brush rounded out the top five for the Hokies, coming in sixth and eighth. The Hokie women finished with 22 points, handily beating the second-place Duke Blue Devils, who finished with 55 points. Other teams in attendance from the ACC included Clemson and Miami.

Both cross country squads will be back in action on Oct. 19 in Terre Haute, Indiana, for the Pre-Nationals Invitational, and on Nov. 1, the Hokies will host the ACC Cross Country Championships.