Virginia Tech Men's Soccer vs Notre Dame

Virginia Tech's final starting lineup huddle as kickoff approaches. Oct. 18, 2019. 

No. 25 Virginia Tech (7–5–2) travelled to New Jersey on Tuesday night to play its lone Ivy League opponent this season in the Princeton Tigers (10–3–1). Virginia Tech came into the game looking to regain its footing after a 2–0 home loss to No. 4 Virginia while Princeton came in riding high on a three-game win streak.

The first half was highlighted by two goals scored by Princeton junior Richard Wolf and Tech sophomore Jon Ingason which left the game tied going into the second half. Tech got the upper hand with a goal by Jon Lobovitz in the 52nd minute and the team went on to dominate the second half in shots 17–4.

Tech was aggressive on the attack, creating chances through good ball movement against Princeton’s defense. Goalie Jack Roberts held his own though, stopping nine shots in 90 minutes of play.

Unfortunately, this aggressive attack would not be enough as Princeton’s Walker Gillespie would even the score to 2–2 with a goal in the 67th minute.

Princeton would then score what would end up being the game-winning goal on a penalty kick by Danny Hampton in the 79th minute. The penalty came off a foul in the box by defender Jakob Bluemler that would undo all the effort put forth by the Hokies.

Tech would end up having one more chance to break Princeton’s lead in the 88th minute when Ingason had a free kick opportunity from 18 yards out. If not for the efforts of Roberts, Ingason’s shot would have gone in and tied the game up before the 90-minute mark.

This game serves as an untimely late-season loss for the Hokies who now hold last place in the ACC Coastal. Their next game is a crucial conference matchup against Duke (7-7-2) in Durham, North Carolina, on Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. It will be Tech’s last game until the start of the ACC Championship on Nov. 6.