Mike Young

Virginia Tech appears to have found Buzz Williams’ replacement in Wofford head coach Mike Young according to Jeff Goodman of Stadium.

Young, a Radford native, has been one of the most successful mid-major coaches in college basketball, leading the Terriers to five NCAA Tournament appearances since 2009. He had his most successful season as Wofford’s head coach this year, guiding the team to a perfect 18–0 conference record, its first ranking in the AP Poll and the first win in school history in the tournament against the 10-seed Seton Hall Pirates.

Young has played a major role in the development of Wofford’s basketball program since he joined the team as an assistant in 1989, where he helped guide the team from Division II to Division I and eventually into the Southern Conference where they play today. He was promoted to head coach in 2002, 13 years after being hired as an assistant, and has since been a staple of the organization ever since.

Young will have his hands full as soon as he starts the position as he’ll try to help a team that’s losing three key graduating players in Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill and Ty Outlaw as well as potentially losing guard Wabissa Bede, who has entered the transfer portal. He’ll also have to get in contact with Tech’s incoming recruiting class, who just lost its top recruit in Anthony Harris after the news of Williams’ departure.

This is athletics director Whit Babcock’s second hire for the men’s basketball program, with the first being Williams in 2014.

Assistant Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.