Mike Young 2

Virginia Tech continues to add to its backcourt with its third commitment for the 2019–20 season in shooting guard Nahiem Alleyne as reported by 247Sports. Alleyne is the third guard to commit this offseason and the second to reclassify from the 2020 class after point guard Jalen Cone made a similar move in May.

Alleyne is a three-star recruit from Lawrenceville, Georgia, where he averaged 17.1 points per game and shot 40% from three in 13 games for the Georgia Stars, an AAU team that competed in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League.

Alleyne will add depth to a position of need for the Hokies, who are returning just two players at the guard position in sophomore Jonathan Kabongo and junior Wabissa Bede, both of whom are expected to enter the season as starters with freshmen Jalen Cone, Hunter Cattoor and Alleyne receiving minutes off the bench.

What the Hokies are getting from Alleyne

Alleyne is an interesting recruit specifically for his ability to push the pace down the court. Watching just a few highlight videos gives you a good idea of just how good Alleyne is in open space, especially off a pick. His ball-handling ability seems to be his best asset after just a little exposure to his game.

A long, wiry athlete standing at 6-foot-3, Alleyne displays a quick shooting motion and the ability to create his own shot, whether it be a pull-up jumper or a drive to the basket. He’s an efficient scorer capable of putting points on the board on his own which makes him a potentially dangerous weapon off the bench in his first year.

While Bede should be getting the majority of the minutes at the shooting guard position, expect coach Young to find some minutes for the Georgia-native off the bench. With Cattoor and Cone expected to play more at the point behind Kabongo, that leaves Alleyne as the only other true shooting guard which could bode well for his development at the next level.

Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.