VT MBB vs. Duke

Head coach Mike Young yells instructions to the team as they face off against Duke, Feb. 22 2020.

On Sept. 18, head basketball coach Mike Young secured a commitment from 7-foot center Patrick Wessler. Wessler joins combo guard MJ Collins — who committed back in June — in the 2022 basketball recruiting class. They are both listed as three-star athletes and top-200 prospects by 247Sports.

Wessler is from Charlotte, North Carolina, and ranks as the No. 4 player in the state according to 247Sports. He chose Virginia Tech over the likes of N.C. State, University of Southern California, Ohio State, Wake Forest, Ole Miss, Creighton and more.

Collins is from Rock Hill, South Carolina, and is the No. 2 player in the state according to 247Sports. The combo guard also received offers from Clemson, Xavier, Providence and Oklahoma.

In recent years, Virginia Tech has not had a true big-man center under the basket. With many new pieces on the roster this season, only time will tell regarding who will primarily play in the post. Wessler will likely find himself somewhere in the rotation in the 2022–23 season.

Collins should also fit in nicely. His ability to play as a shooting guard and point guard should allow Young to stick Collins wherever the frontcourt needs some extra power.

Young still has a few 2022 spots left to offer and will likely try to find a strong outside shooter.