nathan proctor enters draft portal

Defensive end Nathan Proctor has announced he is entering the NCAA transfer portal after making a farewell post on his Twitter account. The redshirt sophomore followed behind redshirt freshman DeJuan Ellis as the second player to leave the program during training camp.

According to multiple reports, Proctor is looking for a situation involving more playing time as he was falling behind on the depth chart this August. Proctor reached out on social media earlier today as an act of goodwill to the university.

The former 4-star All-American was a highly touted prospect coming out of high school, and was one of the prizes of the high-ranking 2017 recruiting class that also included top 300 prospects Devon Hunter, Dylan Rivers and TyJuan Garbutt. His explosion and speed off the edge were a point of excitement for fans, but the edge rusher was never really able to find a way onto the field for the Hokies.

Proctor, a Maryland native, seems likely to join Hokie-transfers Ellis, Josh Jackson and Sean Savoy at the University of Maryland but would probably have to sit out a year before playing football again.

Virginia Tech’s edge rusher depth is looking increasingly thin now after losing Trevon Hill last fall and last year’s sack leader Houshun Gaines this offseason. The expected edge rotation of Emmanuel Belmar, Garbutt and Zion Debose has a whopping three sacks combined for their careers.

The Hokies will need someone else to step up if they want to be able to put some pressure on opposing ACC quarterbacks. Defensive line coach Charley Wiles seems pleased with the development of the teams young pass rushers, with redshirt freshman Jaevon Becton seemingly having the highest upside, but we’ll have to wait until the opening matchup against Boston College on Aug. 31 to see if that upside yields any results.