Women's Soccer vs Alabama

Emmalee McCarter (24) kicks the ball down the field against Alabama, Sept. 5, 2019.

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team improved to 6–0 after a come-from-behind victory against the Yale Bulldogs on Sunday. The Hokies trailed 1–0 at halftime but came back to win 2–1 behind Nicole Kozlova’s two second-half goals. The Hokies start the season 6–0 for the fifth time in program history.

Aerial Chavarin scored the opening goal for Yale in the 32nd minute. Despite trailing at halftime, the Hokies outshot the Bulldogs eight to three in the first half. The second half was much of the same as Tech held Yale to zero shots and the Hokies tallied eight. This led directly to Virginia Tech’s comeback win as Kozlova found the back of the net twice in the second half.

Kozlova, a redshirt freshman from Canada, tied the game in the 65th minute with a goal assisted by sophomore Emily Gray. With under 10 minutes remaining in a 1–1 game, Kozlova sealed the deal with her 83rd-minute goal assisted by Emmalee McCarter and Molly Feighan. Kozlova now has four goals on the season, the most by any player on the squad.

The Hokies were able to run the clock out on a 2–1 home victory against Yale to secure a perfect 6–0 start to the season. This is only the fifth time in program history that the Hokies have started 6–0.

For the 23rd-ranked Hokies, the expectations are high on the remainder of the season. After defeating three straight SEC opponents, Tech secured a win against Yale in the program’s first ever matchup with an Ivy League school.

Looking forward, the Hokies will travel to North Carolina for two matches in the “Battle by the Beach” in Wilmington. Tech faces Charleston on Sept. 13 and UNC Wilmington on Sept. 15. Following these favorable matchups, the Hokies will return home on Sept. 21 to begin ACC action against Miami. Conference play will be a huge test for this team as just about every ACC team on Tech’s schedule is ranked in the top 25.

Kozlova has emerged as the offensive leader of this year’s team as the redshirt freshman now leads the squad with four goals and eight points. In addition, senior goalkeeper Mandy McGlynn has been the anchor in net for the Hokies this season, allowing only two goals through the first six games of the year.

With a solid combination of young talent and veteran leadership, this year’s Virginia Tech women’s team is poised for an exciting season. Head coach Charles Adair’s squad is hoping to make noise in the ACC and elevate the program with a quality season.