Virginia Tech women’s basketball introduced new Head Coach Kenny Brooks on Wednesday as the athletic department looks to get the program back on track.

“My very first game that I ever coached was in Cassell Coliseum,” Brooks said. “I remember the enthusiasm that was in this place, the electricity that was in this place.”

Athletic Director Whit Babcock said that Brooks was the first and only candidate for the job.

When Babcock was asked if he had reached out to any other potential candidates, Babcock said, “Zero, and certainly we had a lot of people reaching out, and if we needed to go to plan B, we would have. I usually don’t like to have all our eggs in one basket, but that’s how convinced I was that Kenny was the guy.”

Brooks raved about the recruiting potential that Virginia Tech holds and says that the university has a lot to offer recruits.

“I’m gonna try to sell them on, first and foremost, the education; for females that is definitely a big plus. You combine that with the enthusiasm around the athletics here, facilities, kids want that.”

“Its going to be a family-type atmosphere where kids are gonna come in and they’re gonna feel welcome, and by the time that each and every one of them leaves, we want them to say ‘I had a wonderful experience at Virginia Tech.'”

Brooks’ oldest daughter, Kendyl, originally signed with James Madison to play women’s basketball. Brooks said his daughter will now play for Virginia Tech under him.

“I knew we were good when she went and got a pedicure/manicure, and when she came back, her toes and nails were orange.”

Brooks has led JMU to 11 straight 24-plus-win seasons, including six trips to the NCAA Tournament.

Brooks’ contract is for six years and is worth over $3 million over the course of the six years. The salary increases incrementally throughout the contract.