Football vs Duke

Joey Slye (46) at a football game against Duke. 

This week’s Next-Level Hokies segment is highlighted by strong showings from the Edmunds and Fuller brothers, as well as kicker Joey Slye’s career performance on Thursday Night Football. The Hokies are well represented in the NFL through two weeks of the 2019 season, with lots of exciting action still to come.

Joey Slye

Joey Slye had a career night in an otherwise poor performance by the Carolina Panthers on Thursday Night Football. The first-year kicker was four-for-four on field goals, two of which were from beyond 50 yards. Slye has risen to the occasion since taking the starting spot from Graham Gano, totaling six-for-seven on the season with three fifty-yarders. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Panthers 20–14

Terrell Edmunds

Safety Terrell Edmunds contributed to a strong showing this weekend by the Edmunds brothers, but the Pittsburgh Steelers fell to 0–2 at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks. Edmunds led the Steelers with 11 tackles and recorded one pass deflection. Last year’s first-round selection has 18 tackles this season and is tied with Devin Bush for most tackles on the Steelers.

Tremaine Edmunds

Former first-round draft pick Tremaine Edmunds helped the Buffalo Bills defeat the New York Giants this weekend and improve to 2–0. Edmunds tallied seven tackles in Buffalo’s 28–14 victory.

Kyle Fuller

Pro-bowl cornerback Kyle Fuller helped the Chicago Bears gain their first win of the season on Sunday afternoon. The Bears took down the Denver Broncos 16–14, behind Fuller’s first interception of the season, six tackles and one pass deflection. Fuller was tied for first in the NFL with seven interceptions last year and is looking to produce similar numbers this season.

Kendall Fuller

Fourth-year cornerback Kendall Fuller recorded six tackles in Kansas City’s 28–10 victory over Oakland. Fuller also recorded a sack as the Chiefs improved to 2–0 on the season.

Brandon Facyson

Brandon Facyson had another solid week for the San Diego Chargers, tallying eight tackles in LA’s 13–10 loss to the Detroit Lions. The second-year cornerback now has 17 tackles on the season as the Chargers fall to 1–1.

Tim Settle

Second-year defensive tackle Tim Settle recorded one tackle in Washington’s 31–21 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. The Redskins fell to 0–2 after the divisional loss.

Anton Exum Jr.

San Francisco defensive back Antone Exum Jr. recorded one tackle in the 49ers’ blowout win over the Cincinnati Bengals. Exum Jr. and the 49ers are off to a 2–0 start following the 41–17 victory.

Chuck Clark

Chuck Clark saw limited action this Sunday as the Baltimore Ravens improved to 2–0 on the season. Clark recorded one tackle to help the Ravens beat the Arizona Cardinals 23–17.