VT vs ECU 2nd Half — Slye Kick

Virginia Tech Hokies kicker Joey Slye (46) books an extra point following a Travon McMillian (34) touchdown. Syle went 3/3 on field goals in the game, Sept. 16, 2017.

Next-level Hokies returns as the NFL season began this past weekend, with a number of former Hokies contributing to their professional teams. Chicago cornerback Kyle Fuller highlighted last season’s group of former Hokies and was elected to the 2019 NFL Pro Bowl. This season, the Edmunds brothers and Fuller brothers will look to improve on strong seasons last year and lead a strong group of next-level Hokies.

Kyle Fuller

Kyle Fuller was the first Hokie in action this season, playing in the Thursday night opener between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers. It was a poor performance by Chicago as the Bears lost 10–3, however, Fuller led the team with six solo tackles. Fuller was tied for first in the NFL last season with seven interceptions; the fifth-year defensive back will look for another pro-bowl caliber season in 2019.

Joey Slye

Kicker Joey Slye has struggled to find a place in the NFL since graduating from Virginia Tech after the 2017–18 season. However, the all-time Virginia Tech leader in made field goals has won the starting job for the Carolina Panthers after a strong preseason showing and an injury to kicker Graham Gano. Slye went 2/3 on field goal attempts, including a 52-yard field goal. The Panthers were defeated by the reigning NFC champion Los Angeles Rams 30–27.

Tremaine Edmunds

Second-year linebacker Tremaine Edmunds was all over the field in Buffalo’s week one victory against the New York Jets. The former first-round pick totaled eight tackles as the Bills won 17–16 in a fourth quarter comeback.

Kendall Fuller

Fourth-year cornerback Kendall Fuller totaled seven tackles in Kansas City’s week one victory against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fuller is a lockdown corner but found himself second on the team in tackles. The Chiefs blew out the Jags 40–26 and look poised for another run at the AFC title.

Brandon Facyson

Second-year cornerback Brandon Facyson lit it up for the Los Angeles Chargers in week one. The former Hokie defensive back tallied nine total tackles as the Chargers beat the Indianapolis Colts by a score of 30–24.

Chuck Clark

Third-year safety Chuck Clark tallied two tackles in Baltimore’s demolition of the Miami Dolphins. The Ravens won the game 59–10 and looked like a contender in the AFC North. Clark has carved out a solid role amongst an underrated defense that could be crucial in making a playoff run this season.

Terrell Edmunds

Terrell Edmunds is looking to improve upon an impressive rookie showing with the Pittsburgh Steelers in his second season after being drafted 28th overall in the 2018 NFL Draft. Edmunds tallied six tackles and a pass deflection, but the New England Patriots crushed the Patriots 33–3.

Tim Settle

Second-year defensive tackle Tim Settle took part in Washington’s week one loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. The former fifth-round pick tallied one tackle in the 27–32 loss.

Antone Exum Jr.

Safety Antone Exum Jr. enters his fifth NFL season with the San Francisco 49ers. The former sixth round pick recorded one tackle in San Francisco’s 31–17 victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.