Ryan Metz photo from the ACC Baseball Tournament

The No. 2 ranked Virginia Tech baseball team failed to make the ACC tournament semifinals after going 1–1 in pool play.

The Hokies started the tournament on Thursday against Clemson where they won 18–6. However, the Hokies were shut out for the first time this season in the second pool game against UNC.

In the 18–6 win against Clemson, the Hokies were led by six total home runs; Nick Biddison and Carson Jones had two each. Eighteen runs is a program record for runs scored in an ACC tournament game. Gavin Cross and Tanner Schobel also had a home run in this game, and both were hit during the Hokies’ four home run third inning.

However, the Hokies failed to score a run against the Tar Heels on Friday. For the Tar Heels, Brandon Schaeffer tossed a 102 pitch complete-game shutout. Schaeffer struck out six, allowed six hits and did not issue any walks. Schaeffer only allowed one Hokie into scoring position the entire game.

The Tar Heels beat the Hokies by a score of 10–0. Their offense was led by four home runs, and two were from the freshman Vance Honeycutt. The Tar Heels jumped the Hokies’ freshman Drue Hackenberg early, putting up four runs in the first inning, which ended Hackenberg’s day after only one inning pitched.

Looking forward, the Hokies are in line to be a host for the NCAA Regional next weekend. This will be announced during the selection show on Monday at noon.