VT Football vs. Georgia Tech

James Mitchell (82) battles through Georgia Tech defenders, Nov. 16, 2019.

The Virginia Tech Hokies (3–4, 1–2 ACC) will head to Atlanta this weekend to face off against their rival Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (3–4, 2–3). In a matchup eerily similar to Virginia Tech’s matchup last week with Syracuse, fans of both teams will be hoping to see their team get back on track against an ACC opponent. Will this be the week head coach Justin Fuente and the Hokies figure it out, or will they continue their spiral to the bottom of the ACC?

Like the Orange, the Georgia Tech offense is built almost entirely around its running game, but with a slightly better passer at quarterback in second-year freshman Jeff Sims, though he hasn’t put it all together yet in the passing game due to his propensity for turnovers, he’s flashed his exciting talent in games against North Carolina, Pittsburgh and Duke this season. He’s paired with another talented second-year freshman running back, Jahmyr Gibbs. The speedy back is a weapon in both the running and passing game and should be a handful for Virginia Tech’s linebackers all game.

On the other side of the ball, the Yellow Jacket defense has struggled mightily this year, ranking 102nd in the country in yards allowed per game. They have a good defensive line, between the trio of Djimon Brooks, Jordan Domineck and Jared Ivey, but the rest of their unit is shaky at best. Braxton Burmeister will have to try to avoid linebacker-corner hybrid Charlie Thomas, an All-ACC level playmaker who has recorded three sacks, two interceptions and a forced fumble this year, but outside of him, the back seven of this Georgia Tech defense is highly susceptible.

Similar to last week, expect both teams to run the ball extremely well in this matchup. Both squads will likely rush for over 150 yards on the day. However, if Burmeister can find guys like Tré Turner, Tayvion Robinson and Raheem Blackshear for a couple big plays, the Hokies should be able to take advantage of the Yellow Jackets’ weak secondary.

Georgia Tech will likely try to keep up with Virginia Tech by trying to move the ball through the air as well. However, it will likely lead to different results. While not spectacular, the Hokie defense does not have nearly as many weaknesses on the back end as Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech has its own All-ACC level playmaker in Jermaine Waller. If he’s not careful, Sims could easily run into another multiple turnover game against a dangerous Hokie defense.

If Burmeister can make a few throws and the defense holds up, Virginia Tech has a good chance to break their losing streak on the road this weekend.

Prediction: Virginia Tech 30, Georgia Tech 27