VT Football vs GT, Oct. 25, 2018

Chris Cunningham (85) sits on the bench alone as both teams shake hands in the middle of the field. The Hokies lost 28–49 to the Yellow Jackets, Oct. 25, 2018.

Update (Jan. 23, 7:56 p.m.): Running back Deshawn McClease has also tweeted his intent to transfer from Virginia Tech. 

Junior quarterback Josh Jackson intends to apply to have his name entered in the NCAA’s transfer portal according to Mike Barber of the Richmond-Times Dispatch.

This comes just a day after starting wide receivers Eric Kumah and Sean Daniel as well as tight end Chris Cunningham announced that they also decided to enter their names into the transfer portal.

Cunningham announced his intent to transfer not long after Kumah tweeted his goodbye to Virginia Tech on Tuesday night.

Though this doesn’t necessarily mean the three players are definitely leaving, it does mean that they are exploring their options for next season.

“As head coach I certainly understand when young men desire to explore their options by entering themselves in the NCAA’s transfer portal,” Justin Fuente said in a statement he made on Wednesday. “We will continue to support all our student-athletes and wish them best whether their future is at Virginia Tech or another institution.”

Jackson came into the season as the starting quarterback after a strong freshman year in which he scored 26 touchdowns through the air and on the ground to go along with 3,315 yards of total offense. His season ended prematurely when he fractured his left fibula in the 49–35 upset loss to Old Dominion on Sept. 22 just three games into the season.

In Jackson’s absence, Kansas-transfer Ryan Willis stepped into the role of starting quarterback and performed admirably, throwing for 24 touchdowns and 2,716 yards. Willis expects to compete for the starting gig next season along with highly touted backup Quincy Patterson.

Assistant Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.