Softball vs. Duke

Virginia Tech awaiting Carrie Eberle's (25) pitch during the Hokies' 2-1 win over the Duke Blue Devils on April 10, 2019 in the final game of a three-game series.

This past weekend the No. 22 Virginia Tech Hokies traveled down to Durham, North Carolina, to take on the Duke Blue Devils in an ACC softball clash. Saturday featured a double header with the final matchup on Sunday.

The theme of the two Saturday games was the dominance of the Virginia Tech pitching staff. Carrie Eberle took the mound first for the Hokies and put on a dazzling performance. Starting with a three-run lead at the bottom of the first inning, Eberle struck out an impressive 10 batters in her complete game shutout of the Blue Devils. She only allowed one extra base hit in her seven innings of work and a measly two walks. No more runs were scored during the rest of the game and the Hokies took the first game 3–0.

In the following game, Keely Rochard picked up right where Eberle left off. In the first inning, Kelsey Bennett was able to get the Hokies on the board with an RBI single. Rochard took that lead and ran with it, striking out seven batters and surrendering zero walks on her way to a complete game shutout.

Along Rochard’s stifling performance, the Hokies’ offense pulled its weight too, putting up three more runs in the second and another two in the seventh piling on toward a 6–0 win.

In the final game of the series, Eberle took the mound again looking to sweep the Hokies’ ACC rival. This game would turn out to be much more of a battle between the two teams than the previous day’s. Caitlyn Nolan put the Hokies on the board with a solo home run in the top of the second, her 13th of the season and second of the series.

The lead would not last long though, as Duke’s Caroline Jacobsen scored on a fielding error in the bottom half of the inning. It would be the only run the Hokies would surrender in the three games.

In the fourth, the Hokies would break the tie as Mackenzie Lawter hit an RBI single in the top of the fourth inning. That would be enough as the Hokies would win the game 2–1. During the third win, Eberle struck out five batters and only allowed the one unearned run in the Hokies’ seven innings of work.

The Hokies return to action on Wednesday with a double header against No. 20 James Madison at Tech Softball Park.