Baseball vs. Wake Forest

Jaison Heard winds up for a pitch against Wake Forest, April 7, 2019. 

The Virginia Tech baseball team concluded its weekend series against Wake Forest losing two out of three games. The Demon Deacons swept Tech in the Saturday double-header but the Hokies held off a late comeback attempt by the Demon Deacons to win game three.

Game 1

In the first game of Saturday’s double-header, freshman catcher Carson Taylor hit a two-run home run in the top of the first inning to put the Hokies ahead by two runs. Taylor’s first career home run scored redshirt senior Jack Owens.

The Demon Deacons added solo home runs in the second and fourth innings to tie the game at two runs. Following five more unanswered runs, Wake Forest built up an insurmountable five-run lead. After late home runs by both teams, the first game of the series concluded at 8–3 in favor of the Demon Deacons.

Sophomore Ian Seymour received the loss after he pitched five and a third innings, giving up five earned runs off of eight hits. On the opposing side, junior pitcher Colin Peluse gave up two runs across six and two thirds innings to receive the win. Both teams regrouped from the 8–3 final and began to prepare for the second game of Saturday’s double-header shortly after.

Game 2

The Hokies started off game two in similar fashion, scoring on a first inning Owens solo homerun to right field. Later in the first, redshirt senior Luke Horanski hit an RBI double to put Tech up by two runs.

The second game was a back-and-forth battle as the Demon Deacons and Hokies exchanged the lead late in the game. Tech led 6–4 in the top of the fifth, but Wake Forest scored four unanswered runs to take an 8–6 lead. Sophomore closer William Fleming surrendered a late run to the Hokies but held on to the 8–7 lead to secure the save and win the second matchup.

Virginia Tech starting pitcher Nic Enright allowed six earned runs but kept the Hokies alive with seven strikeouts. Relief pitcher Peyton Alford was assigned the loss after he allowed Wake Forest to take the lead in the seventh inning.

Game 3

The Hokies came out in game three poised to avoid a sweep at the hands of the Demon Deacons. Through the first four innings, the Hokies were hitting everything and scoring left and right.

In the third inning, outfielder Kerry Carpenter hit a two-RBI home run to center field that put the Hokies up by five. Tech added three more runs in the fourth inning to build a massive 8–0 lead midway through the game.

The Demon Deacons put together a rally and closed the gap late in the game scoring nine runs. The Hokies held off Wake Forest and finished the game ahead 10–9.

Freshman pitcher Chris Gerard pitched a winning performance, allowing three earned runs through five innings. Jaison Heard came in late in the game to record the save and conclude the series with the Demon Deacons.

By avoiding the sweep in Winston-Salem, the Hokies are now 18–14 on the season and 5–10 in the ACC. Tech returns home to face local rival Marshall at English Field on April 9.

Sports staff writer; @CTSportsTalk

Multimedia Journalism Major, Class of 2020.