T&F

The Virginia Tech track and field teams split up into four meets this past weekend, competing in the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, the Texas Tech Shootout in Lubbock, Texas, the Virginia Military Institute meet in Lexington, Virginia, and the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In the Don Kirby Elite Invitational, junior Alexios Prodanas placed seventh overall in the men’s weight throw with his longest throw being 18.68m (61’3.5”).

In the VMI meet, freshman jumper JaneAnne Tvedt placed first in the women’s high jump with a height of 1.65m (5’5”). Sophomore Rosie Cicmanec took second place as she also jumped the height of 1.65m (5’5”), but made the mark on her second try; Tvedt hit the mark on her first attempt.

In the ISU Classic, senior Lauren Berman finished in first place in the women’s mile run with a time of 4:39.81. Freshman Lindsey Butler also finished 10th in the mile in 4:47.05. In the women’s 3000-meter run invite, senior Sarah Edwards took the second-place position with a time of 9:15.07. Edwards scratches her name into the record books as she ran the fourth fastest time for the women’s indoor 3000-meter run in school history.

In the 5000-meter run invite, senior Sara Freix placed overall with a staggering time of 15:52.18. With this time, Freix now holds the new school record for the women’s 5000-meter run.

In the men’s mile run, junior Bashir Mosavel-Lo ran a 4:01.20 to place third, and sophomore Antonio Lopez Segura finished with a 4:03.07 and finished seventh overall. In the men’s 5000-meter run, redshirt junior Fitsum Seyoum completed the race with a time of 14:03.67, and was able to grab the third-place position with it. Seyoum ran the fifth fastest time in school history for the men’s indoor 5000-meter run.

For the men’s 3000-meter run invite, senior Diego Zarate finished the race with a time of 7:58.83 and placed second. With the run, Zarate secured the third fastest time in program history for the men’s indoor 3000-meter run.

Finally, in the men’s 5000-meter run invite, redshirt senior Peter Seufer placed second with a strong time of 13:36.36. With that time, Seufer now holds the new school record for the men’s 5000-meter run. Both the men’s and women’s 5000-meter run records were broken this weekend.

At the Texas Tech Shootout, history was made as multiple records were broken. Junior sprinter Caitlan Tate broke the women’s indoor 200-meter dash record last weekend, and now this weekend she broke the women’s indoor 400-meter dash record as she ran a 53:05 in the event. Tate earned first place for her performance. Sophomore Jacory Patterson broke the men’s 400-meter dash record with a time of 45:75. Like Tate, Patterson also finished first in his respective race.

Sophomore Cole Beck finished fourth in the men’s 60-meter dash finals with a time of 6.70. Beck also finished ninth in the men’s 200-meter dash, as he ran in 21.26 in that race. Beck’s 21.26 finish ties the fifth best men’s indoor 200-meter dash in Virginia Tech history.

Junior Kennedy Dennis placed fifth overall in the womens’ 60-meter dash with a 7.42 run. In the men’s triple jump, sophomore Chauncey Chambers placed fifth overall with a jump of 15.45m.

Virginia Tech’s women’s 4x400 relay team placed third among 25 other teams. The Hokies put up a 3:36.29, which is only a couple of milliseconds off from the record put up last weekend.

The Hokies have their last two regular season meets Feb. 21-22. The team will split up and attend the JDL DMR Invitational in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and some will stay in Blacksburg for the Virginia Tech Challenge in Rector Field House.