2019 ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships

Hokies' Sara Freix (11) keeps a balanced pace during the Women 5000m finals at Rector Field House, Feb. 22, 2019.

The Virginia Tech track and field team split up for the final time this season as part of the team headed to the JDL DMR Invitational in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and the other part of the team stayed in Blacksburg, Virginia, for the Virginia Tech Challenge.

At the JDL DMR Invitational, Tech’s women’s 4000m DMR relay team cruised to a second-place finish as the team clocked in at 11:10.18. On the men’s side, Tech’s squad took third place with a time of 9:40.07.

At the Virginia Tech Challenge, the Hokies put on a very strong showing as there were multiple first-place finishes and top-five finishes overall. In the men’s mile, redshirt junior Fitsum Seyoum and sophomore Tyler Leeser finished in first and second. Seyoum finished first with a 4:04.49 and Leeser second with a 4:10.97; both runners clocked in their new personal records with their performances. 

Senior Cate Stone also clocked in her own personal best as she ran a 1:33.74 in the women’s 600m dash. Stone placed first in her respective race. On the men’s side of the 600m dash, sophomore Eldon Phillips won the event with a time of 1:19.91. 

Three Hokies came in the top four in the men’s long jump; freshman K.J. Moore placed first with a jump of 7.38m, senior James Holt came in at third with 6.92m and redshirt junior Jaelyn Demory finished in fourth with a jump of 6.86m. All three jumpers recorded their personal records in this meet.

In the women’s 800m dash, four Hokies placed in the top four positions. Freshman Grace Boone won the race with a 2:09.34, junior Elizabeth Brush came in second with a 2:10.72, freshman Hannah Ballowe placed third with a 2:11.44 and sophomore Allison Zolkiewicz finished fourth with a time of 2:14.45. All four Hokies recorded their personal bests in the event. 

In the men’s 800m dash, junior Dave Whitfield and sophomore Matthias Cannon finished in the top three. Whitfield won the race with a 1:52.88 and Cannon came in third with a 1:54.89. 

In the women’s 60m dash finals, junior Kennedy Dennis ran her season best (7.44) and took first place. With that performance, Dennis wins her first individual event of this season. Senior Kanajzae Brown placed fourth overall in the race as she ran a 7.60. In the women’s 200m dash, Brown placed third as she ran a 24.57 and freshman Ariana Rivera placed fourth as she ran a 24.72. 

In the women’s weight throw, senior Emma Thor threw her season’s best 18.10m to take first place in the event. Senior Kajsa Wennberg placed third with a throw of 17.16m. 

For the men’s pole vault, freshman Jacob Rice took second place overall with a jump of 5.18m. Sophomore Harrison Rice (5.03m) and Demory (4.73m) placed in fourth and fifth.

These two meets draw a conclusion to Virginia Tech’s indoor track regular season. The Hokies look to the postseason now as the ACC Indoor Championships start Thursday Feb. 27 in South Bend, Indiana.