T&F April 12–14

This past weekend the Virginia Tech track and field teams split up for the third time this season. The sprints, distance and jumps teams were down in Knoxville, Tennessee, competing in the Tennessee Relays while the throwers traveled to UC San Diego for the Triton Invitational.

Many outdoor and all-time personal records were set at both meets and many new Hokies entered the Virginia Tech record books.

According to the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association TFRI Ranking, the women’s team entered the weekend as No. 20 and definitely performed at a high level throughout the weekend.

In Knoxville, the women came up big in the 1500 meter run, 4x800 meter relay and pole vault. Rachel Pocratsky placed first in her 1500 meter run with a time of 4:20.10, and Lauren Berman finished not far behind her earning fifth place in the event. The 4x800 meter relay team, consisting of Sara Freix, Sarah Edwards, Shannon Quinn and Pocratsky ran the second-fastest time ever in Virginia Tech history with a time of 8:37.42, which also carried them to first place. Rachel Baxter placed third in pole vault with a mark of 4.45 meters, the third-best mark in school history.

Other highlights from the women’s performance in the Tennessee Relays included the 4x100 meter relay’s third-place finish, Kanajzae Brown’s sixth-place finishes in the 100 and 200 meter runs, and Imagine Patterson’s seventh-place performance in her 400 hurdles in her first ever collegiate outdoor meet.

In the Tennessee Relays, the men’s team shone in numerous events, especially relays. Freshman Jacory Patterson won the 200 meter run with a time of 20.67, and is currently tied for 14th in the United States in the event with that time. The men’s 4000 Distance Medley Relay A team won the event in 9:44.83 and secured the third-best time in Virginia Tech history; the B team finished in fifth place in 9:53.25 for the 10th-best time in school history. The 4x100 meter relay team also set program history as the third-fastest 4x100 meter relay team with a time of 39.99, which earned them fourth place. The 4x800 meter relay also had a solid race with third place in a time of 7:35.94 for the young squad of freshman and sophmores.

Good marks were thrown at the Triton Invitational. Freshman Enid Duut proved her talent in discus. After fouling on her first throw, she went on to throw 50.54 meters on her third attempt to earn seventh place and the third-best mark in program history. Isaiah Rogers performed well in Hammer throw with a ninth-place mark of 60.28 meters, putting him at No. 10 in school history in hammer throw. The women came up big in hammer throw as well. Pavla Kuklova, Emma Thor and Kajsa Weinberg finished second through fourth with only 3.22 feet separating their marks.

The team will split up again on April 19–20, some attending the War Eagle Classic in Auburn, Alabama, and some competing in the Duke Invitational down in Durham, North Carolina.