VT Men's Basketball vs Saint Francis - Ty Outlaw

Ty Outlaw (42) shoots for three. The Hokies won 75–37 to Saint Francis, Nov. 24, 2018.

On Thursday, March 21, Virginia Tech wing Ty Outlaw was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. The incident was filed Wednesday, March 27, according to the Virginia General District Court online case database.

The senior was charged on March 21, and though he was in San Jose, California, at this time for March Madness, his charge is based in Blacksburg. 

The Virginia Tech Department of Athletics has not yet released a statement on what sanctions, if any, will be designated by the Athletic Director. His first hearing for the charge will occur next month at the Montgomery County Circuit Court.

According to the Virginia Tech Student-Athlete Conduct Policy, athletes charged with a misdemeanor offense “will be subject to a review process. The Athletics Director or designee will review the charges and all of the surrounding circumstances.”

Athletic Director Whit Babcock said the University is still gathering information, according to The Roanoke Times. Outlaw racked up 10 points against Liberty on Sunday and started the last 12 games for the Hokies.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this article mistakenly stated that the incident in question may have occurred before March 21.