On Wednesday, the sprinters, hurdlers and distance team traveled up the road to Lynchburg, Virginia, for the Liberty Twilight Qualifier one-day meet. The meet served as an opportunity for younger runners to get races in during the week to prepare for the upcoming ACC Championship meet; no Virginia Tech seniors competed.

On the women’s side, eight runners placed within the top six in their event; the men’s side resulted in nine top six place finishes.

In the 200-meter run, Kanajzae Brown and Caitlan Tate finished second and fourth, Brown breaking 24 seconds for the first time with a time of 23.99. Tate had another great showing in the 400-meter run and ran 57.14 to earn fourth place once again. Kayla Copeland was not far behind, coming through at 58.39 in a seventh place finish. Imagine Patterson dominated the 400 Hurdles; she finished in first place beating out the competition by over three seconds and earning her first individual event title of her career. She ran a time of 1:01.78.

Hokies in the distance events also saw lots of success in Lynchburg. Elizabeth Brush and Lauren Berman had back-to-back finishes in the 800-meter run with times to give them third and fourth. Brush finished in 2:07.94 which makes her the 10th fastest Hokie in program history in that event. In the 5,000-meter run, Emily Schiesl took third place with 17:50.90. Lastly, Mikayla Richardson took first in the 3,000 steeplechase with 10:56.94.

In the men’s 400 Hurdles, Hans Gallagher crossed the line in second place with a personal best of 55.46. Seven Hokies competed in the 800 meter and Virginia Tech took spots four through eight, as Thierry Siewe Yanga led the way with 1:50.63, a personal best. Tech also dominated the 1,500-meter run, taking first, second and third. Matthias Cannon earned his first career event title with his personal best of 3:47.95 in that event. Antonio Lopez Segura also ran a personal best and finished in second place. Simeon Mussie and Osman Humeida came up big in the 5,000 meters and finished second and third.

Some runners have finished their regular outdoor seasons, but select runners will compete in the Tennessee Challenge in Knoxville, Tennessee, on May 4. For many Hokies, the Outdoor ACC Championship meet is next up. The meet is in Charlottesville, Virginia, on May 9–11.