Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame

Virginia Tech Hokies' Quincy Patterson II (4) attempts to get outside on the Irish defense in a 21-20 loss at Notre Dame Stadium, Nov. 2nd, 2019.

With the Virginia Tech football season starting in about two months in some form or another, it’s time to take a deeper look into Virginia Tech’s roster for the upcoming year.

Over the next few weeks, we will be delving into the team, position by position, to get a deeper understanding of where we stand as a football team. I will grade every player on the roster on a 1-10 scale and create a makeshift depth chart for the season (Note: These grades are simply my opinions on each player based on prior knowledge, statistics and film study).

Grading Scale:

10: Heisman Candidate

9: All American

8: All ACC

7: Starter

6: Backup

5 and below: Not likely to play 

Hendon Hooker - 7.2/10

Hooker stepped in as the starter last season and played valiantly. Throwing 13 touchdowns and two interceptions along with five touchdowns on the ground, Hooker proved to be a good quarterback who can manage a game and not make mistakes. The problem is that he lacks the arm talent and aggressiveness to make plays in big time situations, which proved fatal for the Hokies in both the Virginia and Kentucky games. Hooker will be able to hold down the fort at the quarterback position this fall, but if this team, which has high aspirations, begins to struggle in games, it is hard to believe Hooker has the talent to bring them back on his own.

Quincy Patterson II - 6.8/10

Patterson was a highly touted recruit and Elite 11 quarterback coming to Blacksburg two years ago, which had fans excited to see what his talent could do for the team. Unfortunately, he hasn’t seen the field much in his first two seasons. In the two games he did see real action last season, he led the team to one of the greatest finishes in school history in a 6OT thriller against North Carolina, but he struggled the next week against Notre Dame. Patterson has elite arm talent and is a gifted runner, he has just yet to put it together completely on the field. He may lack the consistency of Hooker, but he may just have the upside to carry Virginia Tech to its lofty goals this fall.

Braxton Burmeister - 6/10

Burmeister was a transfer from Oregon last season who had some experience as a starter. He started four games during his Oregon career but struggled with accuracy and turnovers. Burmeister is a talented runner, but doesn’t bring much to the table as a passer. If he ends up playing for the Hokies, he will have to do most of his damage with his legs.

Knox Kadum - 5.5/10

A three-star prospect coming out of high school, Kadum was a nice commitment for the Hokies out of Georgia last year. His high school film is reminiscent of Hendon Hooker, lacking arm talent but making good decisions with the football. Kadum should be a nice backup over the course of his career with some upside if he plays his cards right.

Trevor Jackson - N/A

Not much is known about the redshirt freshman other than that he was a local prospect and a decent high school quarterback. He isn’t likely to factor into the team’s plans for this season, but he may be a name to know for the next few years.