On April 23, Virginia Tech (24–18) baseball faced Radford (21–20) for a second time this season, this time at Radford. The Hokies won the first meetup played on Feb. 26, 8–7, and looked to sweep the season series. After a close showing, Virginia Tech was able to make late-game plays to defeat the Highlanders 8–6.

In the first inning, Luke Horanski hit an RBI double to send Jack Owens home to put the Hokies up a run early. Kerry Carpenter then did the exact same and allowed Horanski home for run number two. In the bottom of the first inning, Virginia Tech pitcher Ryan Metz allowed two walks, but no other players were able to make it on base and Radford went without a run through the first inning.

The second inning held a few more strong at-bats for the Hokies and Dalton Harum was able to reach home to make the score 3–0. The second inning also held a very strong fielding performance by Virginia Tech. The Hokies made a double-play for outs at first and second base and turned around to catch a pop-up hit on the next play for the third out.

Radford was able to score a run off a solo home run in the third inning and Metz was subbed out for Peyton Alford. Alford threw four pitches which resulted in three outs to end the inning.

During the fourth inning, Harum scored his second run of the game off an RBI hit from Nick Owens, his second hit of the game. Radford could not score in the fourth inning and the Hokies held a three-run lead. But, in the fifth inning, the Highlanders were able to take the lead when Clayton Baine hit a three-run home run to put Radford in front by one.

Soon after, in the sixth inning, Nick Biddison hit his second RBI single of the game and Jonah Seagears scored to tie the game up at 5–5. In the seventh inning, Tanner Thomas and Harum were both batted in to give Tech a two-run edge.

Pitching and fielding were sharp throughout the final innings for the Hokies. Only one more run from Radford was scored while Biddison was able to put one more on the board for Virginia Tech off a solo home run to make the final score 8–6.

The Hokies finished with zero errors and converted 12 hits into eight runs. Radford capitalized off its hits, though; the Highlanders scored six runs from five hits.

Virginia Tech has a big weekend to prepare for as it will take on No. 22 Miami in Coral Gables. Wins this weekend would be great for Tech’s ACC record, which currently sits at 7–14.