Men's Basketball vs Clemson

Head Coach Mike Young claps following a video honoring the senior members of the basketball team, Cassell Coliseum, March 4, 2020.

This past weekend the Hokies acquired a graduate transfer commitment from Cordell Pemsl. The 6-foot-9 big man from the Iowa Hawkeyes provides much needed depth in the frontcourt for Virginia Tech.

Last season, Pemsl averaged three points for the Hawkeyes in only 12 minutes on the floor per game. However, in his previous seasons at Iowa he had better numbers; he played behind Big Ten Conference Player of the Year Luka Garza in the 2020 season. 

Adding Pemsl to the roster takes a lot of weight off the shoulders of P.J. Horne and John Ojiako, who were the only true forwards on the team last season. Now with the addition of Pemsl and 6-foot-9 freshman David N’Guessan, head coach Mike Young has some pieces to work with under the basket. 

The Hokies lived and died by the 3-point shot last season. In January, Jalen Cone and company were smoking hot from deep, but once February hit the whole team went cold. They didn’t have much confidence in any other option to score the basketball. 

Now the rising sophomore Ojiako will have a whole offseason to get closer to his potential. The addition of N’Guessan will put some more athleticism in the front court and Pemsl will provide some experience. Coach Young will get to throw the ball down low a little more and hope to get more consistent scoring on offense.