VT MBB vs. UNC

P.J. Horne (14) makes a shot from the free throw line, Jan. 22, 2020.

Coming off its thrilling double-overtime victory against the North Carolina Tar Heels, the Virginia Tech Hokies traveled to Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, to take on the Boston College Eagles in an ACC conference matchup. The Hokies led for most of the game, but the Eagles won by a score of 61-56. Tech falls to 14-6 (5-4) on the season.

Even slightly still inconsistent, Tech has managed to put together a strong first half of the season. With the many departed from the basketball team, head coach Mike Young has kept his young players disciplined and prepared for almost any occasion. Key words: “almost any.” Today, that was not the case.

Giving credit to the Hokies, they played quite well in the first half as they led the Eagles 31-26 at halftime. As seen in previous games this season, Virginia Tech lives and dies by the 3-point shot, as they make 10.6 3-point attempts per game, which is ranked third in the NCAA.

In the first half, the Hokies shot at a 50% clip (6-12) from the 3-point line. Tech also out-rebounded the Eagles in the first half as it grabbed 18 boards to Boston College’s 17. Freshman guard Nahiem Alleyne led the Hokies in scoring in the first half with eight points. 

Both teams struggled with handling the ball with eight turnovers each; however, Virginia Tech was able to turn Boston College’s eight turnovers into 11 points compared to Boston College only scoring four points off turnovers.

The Hokies were not able to clean up their act as they turned over the ball six more times in the second half. The Eagles capitalized on the Hokies’ mistakes as they were able to create five points off turnovers compared to the Hokies’ two points created off turnovers. 

Turnovers were not the only thing to put down Virginia Tech in the second half; 3-point shooting in the final 20 minutes was horrific as it was only able to make one three out of eight attempts. 

One bright spot of the second half was redshirt freshman Landers Nolley’s shooting performance: he dropped 11 points in the second half and ended the game with 15 points. Another notable performance in the loss was from redshirt freshman Tyrece Radford, who put up seven points and nine rebounds. Five of his rebounds were on the offensive glass.

With March Madness coming soon, the Hokies need to tighten up as every game from here on out is pivotal. This game was one they should have had, but fell apart in the second half. Virginia Tech looks to bounce back in another ACC conference matchup against the Miami Hurricanes (10-9, 2-7) on Jan. 28 at 8 p.m. at Watsco Center in Coral Gables, Florida.