braxton Burmeister

Photo courtesy HokieSports.

In what has been a roller coaster of an offseason for the Hokie quarterback room, this past Saturday Virginia Tech announced that sophomore Oregon quarterback Braxton Burmeister will be transferring to join the Hokies.

The former 4-star prospect out of La Jolla, California, was highly touted out of high school, where he threw for almost 15,000 yards and 127 touchdowns and got to play against some of the top competition in the state.

Burmeister started five games in relief of Justin Herbert in 2017, where he threw for 320 yards, two touchdowns and six interceptions — not a thrilling stat line through five games. What brings excitement, though, is not his skills as a passer, but his value in the running game. In those five starts, he ran for 106 yards and three touchdowns. He redshirted in 2018 during a very healthy year for Herbert.

Virginia Tech was not on Burmeister’s interest list out of high school, so this is a surprising flip for the Hokies. There is no certainty on whether he will be immediately eligible because he will not be coming in as a graduate transfer. After losing Josh Jackson to the transfer portal, head coach Justin Fuente and his staff have doubled down on adding quarterback talent this offseason, signing freshman Knox Kadum and now landing Burmeister.

The Hokies’ quarterback competition this spring is likely to entail a hard battle between returning starter Ryan Willis and redshirt freshman Quincy Patterson, with the one receiving primary backup duties.

When he enrolls this summer, Burmeister will likely be given a year to refine his skills as a passer and compete for the starting job with Patterson in 2020.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article mistakenly spelled La Jolla, California.