Raheem Blackshear vs. Boston College

Courtesy of HokieSports.

In a game exemplary of what has become a lost season, the Virginia Tech Hokies took yet another disparaging loss to the Boston College Eagles on the road this past Friday, 17–3. In a matchup in which Virginia Tech was favored, injuries and poor offense paved the way for a putrid performance from the Hokies.

The first signs of trouble came when, about 30 minutes before gametime, Boston College announced quarterback Phil Jurkovec would be making his first start since week two of this season on Friday night. The Eagles had been getting by with backup Dennis Grosel all season, a limited passer who struggled to find ways to win for Boston College. However, it wasn’t the Eagles’ quarterback who led to the Hokies’ demise.

In the first quarter, Virginia Tech quarterback Braxton Burmeister left the game with an undisclosed injury and was replaced by redshirt freshman Knox Kadum. From then on, the Hokies’ offense sputtered, as it seemed the coaching staff rolled back any aggressiveness in the passing game. It didn’t help that star receiver Tré Turner was also out for the game, after a 187-yard receiving day last week.

The lack of potency on offense for the Hokies made it an easy day for the Boston College defense, which held Kadum to just 73 passing yards on the day. The Virginia Tech running game was good as usual, as the Hokies finished with 162 yards on the day. However, it was not enough to keep Virginia Tech in the game without the threat of a downfield passing game.

On the other side of the ball, outside of a few impressive throws by Jurkovec, the Eagles were able to win with the running game. The team rushed for 234 yards and two touchdowns, another point on the resume of a Hokie run defense that has been terrible this year. The 17 points the team was able to generate would be enough for Boston College to take home the win.

Virginia Tech continues to sputter this season, losing their fourth game in five weeks. And without Burmeister (despite his limitations), things only seem as though they will get worse. The Hokies will face the 3–6 Duke Blue Devils (0–5 ACC) at home next week. A loss would likely be the nail in the coffin for a disappointing football season in Blacksburg.