VT backcourt

Courtesy of Hokiesports

The Hokies might have lost some key members in the backcourt, but new additions should boost the guard play for head coach Mike Young. 

Guards Tyrece Radford, Jalen Cone and Joe Bamisile all entered the transfer portal and left Virginia Tech this past summer. Radford was the second-leading scorer for the Hokies last season, while Cone was a key sharpshooter for the Hokies. Coach Young will look to his new additions and returning starters to replace and even improve the guard production of last season. 

The most exciting addition is former Wofford guard Storm Murphy, a senior transfer. The 6-foot scoring guard averaged 17.8 points and 4.3 assists last season, while shooting 47% from the field and 40% from the 3-point range. The Hokies are looking for Murphy to fit right in with teammate Keve Aluma, who also played alongside Murphy at Wofford. 

Freshman guard Sean Pedulla also joins the mix for the Hokies. The two-time all-state guard out of Edmond, Oklahoma, looks to make an impact off the bench for the Hokies in his first year of collegiate basketball. 

The Hokies also bring back junior guards Hunter Cattoor and Nahiem Alleyne. Alleyne looks to build off of his 11.1 points-per-game average last season as he is expected to be an every-game starter for the Hokies this season. Cattoor looks to fight for a starting spot in the Hokies’ lineup this season and continue his hot shooting. 

The Hokies’ backcourt for the 2021-22 basketball season will look a little different, but it has plenty of potential and will be key for the Hokies to take the next step this season.