Thursday night, Virginia Tech traveled to Kentucky to face the Louisville Cardinals at the KFC Yum! Center. Louisville defeated Virginia Tech by the score of 56-45 in a rather chippy match between the two ACC rivals.

Hannah Young came out of the gates hot, racking up eight points on 3-of-3 from the field, instead of 2-of-2 from three-point range. The game was tied at the end of the first quarter at 13-13.

In the second quarter, the Hokies struggled offensively, scoring only five points. Myisha Hines-Allen scored nine points while teammate Asia Durr added six points of her own. The Cardinals dominated the boards in the second quarter, out-rebounding the Hokies 13-5.

Virginia Tech committed seven turnovers in the quarter, and Louisville took advantage, scoring 10 points off of those turnovers.

Louisville led the Hokies 31-18 heading into the break.

The third quarter is when things got a little testy and emotions were running high. A total of three technical fouls were assessed.

Hines-Allen and Hokies guard Chanette Hicks each received offsetting technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct with 4:53 left in the third.

At the next media timeout, Durr also received a technical foul at the 3:48 mark.

Virginia Tech outscored Louisville 13-5 in the third quarter. The Cardinals made just 14.3 percent of their shots in the quarter.

The Hokies trailed by just five points, 36-31 at the end of the third.

In the fourth quarter, Louisville pulled away and locked up a win in a match that was controlled by great defense by both sides.

For Louisville, Hines-Allen finished with a double-double, contributing 18 points and 10 rebounds, while Briahanna Jackson added 13 points in the game. With 14.7 seconds left in the game, Jackson scored her 1,000th and 1,001st points while wearing a Louisville uniform on a layup.

Young led the way for the Hokies, scoring 16 points while draining four three-pointers.

Sidney Cook returned from a dislocated right elbow injury. Cook scored just one point on a free throw.

Vanessa Panousis has been inconsistent lately on the offensive end. Panousis shot 3-of-9 from the field and shot just 1-of-5 from behind the arc. The guard fouled out of the contest for the Hokies late in the fourth quarter.

With the win, Louisville improved to 11-5 (3-0 ACC). Virginia Tech took the loss and dropped to 13-2 (1-1 ACC).

Virginia Tech will travel to the Empire State to face Syracuse on Sunday, Jan. 10 at 2 p.m. The two teams have split eight games in their history, winning four games apiece.