wsoc v. Elon

Virginia Tech women’s soccer dominated Elon 7–1 on Thursday night in what was a long 90 minutes for the Phoenixes. It was an interesting game featuring a 45-minute weather delay, but students came out for the first half of what was an exciting Virginia Tech performance. The Hokies advance to 3–0 on the season.

Because of the ease with which the starters handled Elon, coach Chugger Adair made a number of substitutions and was impressed with the second-string players.

“Ball movement, speed of play and movement off the ball were key things for those players to learn,” Adair said.

The first few minutes of play featured aggression from both teams, and multiple throw-ins for both sides near the center of the field. The Hokies were able to quickly get the ball to their offensive side and an assist from redshirt junior Nicole Kozlova allowed senior Emily Gray to score her first goal of the season in the sixth minute of play.

It looked like Gray was going to have another opportunity to put the ball away a minute later, but it bounced off the post. However, Kozlova soon after hit the back of the net from inside the six-yard box.

Virginia Tech had no problem keeping the ball around Elon’s goal. Phoenix goalie McKenna Dalfonso had a few solid saves, but Gray scored another remarkable goal off a header and Kozlova also tallied another goal. Just over 15 minutes in, Virginia Tech held a comfortable four-goal lead. It would be an uphill battle for Elon, however; its scoring opportunities were limited.

“I’ve been disappointed the last couple games just not finishing my chances, but we’ve come our way with the results so I know my time will come when it’s needed,” Gray said.

The first half continued to be all Hokies as sophomore defender Ava Veith’s shot went through the hands of Dalfonso in the 27th minute.

With nine minutes left in the second half, both teams went to the locker room for the weather delay.

Most Hokie starters stayed on the bench as play resumed. Virginia Tech continued to break down Elon’s offense and redshirt sophomore Holly Rose Weber was able to sneak in a goal at the end of the first half to give the Hokies a six-goal advantage.

In the second half, Virginia Tech remained in control of possession for most of the 45 minutes. In the 84th minute, freshman Sophie Maltese scored her first goal of her career and put the Hokies up seven. Elon couldn’t find an opportunity to score until the last minute when debut Hokie goalie S.A. Phillips let one through.

In the game, the Hokies recorded 10 shots on goal to Elon’s two.

The Hokies have a two day break and then will travel to Cincinnati, Ohio, to take on the Bearcats at 1 p.m on Aug. 29. Elon will take on another ACC team in N.C. State on Sept. 5.