Virginia Tech Women's Soccer vs. UVA

The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of No. 1 UVA, losing 2–0. The team entered the match Thursday night with an undefeated record and was ranked No. 16 in the nation. With their loss to the No. 1 team in the nation, the Hokies fell to 9–1–0 (1–1–0 ACC).

Virginia relied on two goals in the second half to pull away in this hard-fought match. Virginia forward Meghan McCool recorded her eighth goal of the season, opening the scoring in the 70th minute. Not long after, forward Diana Ordonez was able to ice the game in the 84th minute, scoring her 10th goal of the season. McCool and Ordonez are Virginia’s top scorers this season and are a huge reason for the team’s No. 1 ranking.

The Hokies were outshot 9–5 against the Cavaliers, with just two shots on goal. Tech goalkeeper Mandy McGlynn recorded three saves in the match, letting in a goal for the first time in three games.

Despite the loss, Virginia Tech head coach Charles Adair applauded his team’s effort after the game.

“We made a couple of mistakes and they punished us. I think we played well, created some chances going forward and really tried to stick to our game plan against a very good Virginia team,” coach Adair said. “I'm very proud of the effort from the team, and I'm looking forward to getting back at it and going to Clemson on Sunday."

Virginia, which moved to 9–0–1 (1–0–1 ACC), gets another test Sunday when the team faces off against No. 10 Duke.

Virginia Tech, meanwhile, will face off against another top 10 team, the Clemson Tigers. This will provide a chance for the Hokies to get back on the winning track against another elite opponent. With the match being played at Riggs Field at Clemson, Virginia Tech will have to play through another hostile crowd if they want to bounce back.