2019 ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships

Hokies' Sara Freix (11) keeps a balanced pace during the Women 5000m finals at Rector Field House, Feb. 22, 2019.

Virginia Tech’s track and field team traveled to Loftus Sports Center in South Bend, Indiana, to participate in the second biggest meet of its indoor season, the ACC Indoor Championships.

On day one, junior Ellie Vest took second place in the women’s pentathlon high jump with a jump of 1.67 meters. Vest also completed the women’s pentathlon 800-meter dash with a time of 2:17.92 and placed first. Vest ultimately placed fifth overall in the pentathlon with a score of 3680. For the heptathlon, sophomore John Manilli took seventh with a score of 4661.

In the men’s weight throw, junior Alexios Prodanas placed fourth overall with a throw of 20.07 meters. To finish out day one, both Virginia Tech’s men’s and women’s DMR relay teams took second place in their respective races. The men’s DMR completed the race with the time of 9:46.28, while the women’s DMR finished their race with a time of 11:08.41.

On day two, the Hokies came back with some heat as two of the team’s runners took home first-place medals and claimed ACC individual titles. Redshirt senior Peter Seufer once again stole the show as he finished first in the men’s 5000 run with a time of 13:58.28. This is now Seufer’s second ACC indoor title. In the women’s 5000 run, Sara Freix won her first ACC indoor title as she completed the race with a time of 16:13.69. Also, in the men’s 5000 run, redshirt junior Fitsum Seyoum placed fifth overall with a time of 14:05.84. 

Virginia Tech had three men’s pole vaulters place in the top eight. Sophomore Harrison Rice took home the bronze medal and received third as he jumped 5.28 meters. Freshman Jacob Rice (4.98 meters) and freshman Joey Badalamenti (4.88 meters) placed fifth and eighth with their jumps.

On day three, junior Caitlan Tate took second place in the women’s 200 dash finals as she ran a 23.38. In the men’s 200 dash finals, sophomore Cole Beck also took the fourth place as he ran a 21.16. Beck also took fourth place in the men’s 60 dash with a time of 6.68. 

In the men’s 1 mile run finals, senior Diego Zarate placed fourth with a time of 4:02.87 and redshirt sophomore Ben Fleming placed sixth with a time of 4:03.40. In the women’s 1 mile finals, senior Sarah Edwards took the gold medal as she ran a strong time of 4:37.11. Senior Lauren Berman was not far behind as she performed her personal best, a 4:38.77 and placed third overall. 

Sophomore Jacory Patterson once again dominated in the men’s 400 dash finals as he placed first in race with a time of 45.66. Patterson is now a back-to-back 400 dash ACC champion. On the women’s side of the 400 dash finals, Tate won the 400 dash event with a time of 52.42. Senior Arlicia Bush came in third with a time of 53.40. 

In the men’s 800 dash finals, three Hokies finished in the top eight spots: junior Thierry Siewe Yanga (1:51.83) placed eighth, senior Jack Joyce (1:50.93) placed fifth and redshirt sophomore Bashir Mosavel-Lo (1:50.15) placed second and received a silver medal. The freshman trio of Lindsey Butler, Grace Boone and Hannah Ballowe finished fifth, sixth and seventh on the women’s side of the race. Butler (2:07.77) came in fifth, Boone (2:09.28) placed sixth and Ballowe (2:13.46) finished in seventh. 

In the men’s 3000 run, Seufer placed first overall with a time of 7:59.09. With that finish, Seufer took home his third ACC indoor title of his career. Sophomore Antonio Lopez Segura finished third in the event with a time of 8:06.43. In the women’s 3000 run, Freix placed eighth with a time of 9:25.62. 

On the field side of things, junior Rachel Baxter won the women’s pole vault with a jump of 4.45 meter. In the women’s shot put, sophomore Essence Henderson put up a strong showing as she took second overall with the throw of 16.66 meters. In the men’s triple jump, sophomore Chauncey Chambers placed eighth with a jump of 15.60 meters.

The ACC Indoor Championship ended on a high note for the Hokies as the men’s 4x400 relay team placed third in the event with a time of 3:07.79. On the other side, the women’s relay team won their event as the Hokies ran a staggering 3:38.21. 

At the end of the meet, the men’s team tally 109 points overall and placed second in the ACC, while the women’s team dominated with a score of 105.5. The women’s team took home the ACC Indoor Championship for the first time since 2008. With the conclusion of this meet, the Virginia Tech track and field team looks to finish off the indoor season strong at the NCAA Indoor Championships meet taking place in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on March 13-14.