Virginia Tech vs North Carolina

Virginia Tech Hokies Wabissa Bede (3) looks to drive inside on the North Carolina Tar Heels in a 103-81 loss at the Dean Smith Center, Jan. 21, 2019.

On May 23, 2019, Virginia Tech men’s basketball guard Wabissa Bede announced that he will return to play for the Hokies next season. Bede entered the NCAA transfer portal following the departure of former head coach Buzz Williams.

Bede met with newly hired head coach Mike Young on numerous occasions throughout the offseason and and ultimately decided to remove himself from the transfer portal.

The former four-star recruit from Massachusetts is expected to be an integral piece in replacing Justin Robinson, Ahmed Hill, Ty Outlaw and Nickeil Alexander-Walker. Bede averaged 3.8 points and 2.3 assists per game for the Hokies last season. The sophomore also stepped up into the starting lineup for 26 games when Robinson was injured midway through the season.

Bede joins Landers Nolley II in returning to Virginia Tech after previously entering the transfer portal. Both former four-star recruits will look to get key minutes on next year’s team.

Following the return of Bede, Young’s biggest priority will be securing Kerry Blackshear Jr. and continuing to lure in transfers.

Sports staff writer; @CTSportsTalk

Multimedia Journalism Major, Class of 2020.