Women's Basketball vs. Duke

Regan Magarity dribbling the ball up court in against Duke on Virginia Tech's Valentine's Day win.

After being selected 33rd by the Connecticut Sun in the 2019 WNBA draft, Virginia Tech redshirt senior standout Regan Magarity becomes just the fifth Hokie to be drafted into the WNBA and first since Nare Diawara was taken 34th overall by the San Antonio Stars in 2007.

“I am extremely happy for Regan on her being selected by the Connecticut Suns in the 2019 WNBA draft,” said Virginia Tech head coach Kenny Brooks. “Her hard work and dedication to our program has paid off with this accomplishment. She is most deserving of this honor and I know she will do well. Connecticut is lucky to have her as Hokie Nation was. Congrats Ray.”

The Sun’s selection makes Magarity the highest selected Virginia Tech player since the Chicago Sky chose Kerri Gardin at pick 31 in the 2006 WNBA draft. Aside from Magarity, Diawara and Gardin, two other Hokies, Ieva Kublina in 2004 and Tere Williams in 2001, have also been taken in the WNBA draft.

Despite not playing in a single NCAA Tournament game in her career, Magarity established herself as one the best post players in the country during her collegiate career, leading Tech to three straight trips to the WNIT Sweet 16 and an appearance at the 2018 WNIT Championship. Last season, the 6-foot-3 forward earned second team All-ACC honors, averaging 14.1 points and an ACC-best 12.8 rebounds while leading the Hokies to a 22-12 record.

Virginia Tech has seen some of the most success it has had in recent memory with Magarity on the team. Over the past three seasons, the Hokies went 20-14, 23-14 and 22-12 as the Swedish sensation aided Virginia Tech head coach Kenny Brooks, Taylor Emery and the crew to some of its best seasons since the late 1990s and early 2000s when the Hokies won 20 or more games for seven straight seasons under Boonie Henrikson.

Virginia Tech’s all-time rebounding leader joins 6-foot-4 Cal center Kristine Anigwe, the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year, and Marquette’s Natisha Hiedeman, the Big East Player of the Year, with Connecticut, shoring up the Sun’s frontcourt and adding a dynamic guard to the backcourt.

Along with Anigwe and Hiedeman, Magarity looks to help propel Connecticut to its third conference title and its first league championship. Last year, the Sun lost in the second round of the playoffs to the Phoenix Mercury for a second straight season, finishing 21-13, the same record as the previous season.