Mike Young 2

Virginia Tech’s new Wofford connection in head coach Mike Young continues to pay dividends as the team has gotten a new power forward in sophomore Keve Aluma. Aluma announced his decision to transfer on his Twitter account Sunday night.

Since he is still just an undergraduate, Aluma will have to sit out this coming season under the NCAA’s transfer rules.

Aluma, a 6-foot-8 forward from Berlin, Maryland, started 34 games for the Terriers last season, averaging 6.9 points per game and 6.8 rebounds per game. He was a key contributor in the team’s historic 2018-19 season in which they went undefeated in the Southern Conference and made it to the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament, where they lost to the No. 2 seed Kentucky Wildcats.

Aluma showed his ability to step up as a role player in the frontcourt as the season wore on, scoring in double figures in eight games and also getting two double-doubles. While he’ll have to watch from the bench this season, his experience playing under coach Young should give him a good chance to receive some key minutes on the court when his time comes.

It has been a busy offseason for the newly appointed head coach, who has managed to not only bring in Aluma, but also Wofford-recruit Hunter Cattoor for a Hokies team trying to find a new identity. While Tech fans may be looking at an entirely new team this coming season, coach Young will seem to have a few familiar faces in the fold when he gets set to coach his first season in Blacksburg.

Assistant Sports Editor

Robby Fletcher is a Junior Multimedia Journalism major with interests in sports, food, big words and movies. He really wants you to read his work.