Women's Basketball vs. Maryland East Shore

Dara Mabrey (4) holds onto the ball as time winds down in the first half, Nov. 19, 2019.

The Virginia Tech women’s basketball team improved to 13-4 (3-3) with a 69-61 victory over the Virginia Cavaliers in Charlottesville.

Despite being outscored 29-18 at halftime, the Hokies fought back in the second half and outscored the Cavaliers 51-31.

Head coach Kenny Brooks’ squad distributed the scoring effort evenly as all five starters scored in double digits. Despite a slow start to the game, sophomore guard Dara Mabrey led the Hokies with 15 points.

It was Mabrey’s 3-pointer at the 5:45 mark of the fourth quarter that turned the tide for Tech. Her clutch shot put the Hokies up 55-53 and they never trailed for the remainder of the game. Mabrey scored 12 of her 15 points in the second half and shot 4-5 from long range.

Coming into this matchup with Virginia, the Hokies had not won a game at John Paul Jones arena since 2016. In the first half, it appeared that this trend might continue as Tech shot just 7-25 from the field in the first half and 2-12 from 3-point range.

The Hokies responded with a 26-15 third quarter that saw both teams tied at 44 heading into the fourth quarter. Despite a back-and-forth final quarter, Tech’s big shots and consistent free throw shooting outlasted the Cavaliers.

As a team, Tech shot 18-22 from the free throw line. Lydia Rivers went 5-6 from the line and made several big shots in the second half; she finished the game with 13 points and 8 rebounds. Elizabeth Kitley recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. The Hokies totaled 41 rebounds to Virginia’s 30.

Next up for Tech, the Hokies return home Jan. 23 to face off against Boston College. The Eagles are currently 10-8 on the season and 3-4 in the ACC.