Women's Basketball vs. Maryland East Shore

Dara Mabrey (4) holds onto the ball as time winds down in the first half, Nov. 19, 2019.

The Virginia Tech women’s basketball team defeated the Davidson Wildcats 88-68 at Cassell Coliseum on Sunday to improve to 5-0 on the season. The 20-point victory marks the fourth straight season that head coach Kenny Brooks has led the Hokies to a 5-0 start to the season.

Four Hokies scored over 15 points in the impressive offensive showing against the now 4-2 Wildcats. Sophomore Dara Mabrey led Virginia Tech with 18 points while gathering six rebounds. As a unit, the Hokies shot 50.7 percent from the field and hit four of their 10 three-point attempts.

Both Davidson and Virginia Tech got off to a fast start, with a combined 43 points scored in the first quarter and 91 points scored in the first half.

Davidson held an early 6-4 lead as both teams traded buckets early, but the Wildcats never led past that point.

The Hokies jumped out to a 27-16 first quarter advantage, with Mabrey scoring 10 of those points. The Hokies struggled to stop Sarah Donovan, who scored eight points for Davidson in the first quarter and finished the game with 25.

While the Wildcats kept up the pace a bit better in the second quarter, the Hokies scored 27 points again to take a 54-37 advantage into halftime. Aisha Sheppard and Elizabeth Kitley stepped up in the second quarter and headed to the lockers at halftime with double-digit scoring; Sheppard and Kitley both finished the game with 17 points.

The tempo slowed down significantly in the second half, with the Hokies putting up 15 points in the third quarter and 19 in the fourth. With that being said, Tech held Davidson to 14 points and 17 points in the game’s final two quarters.

The Hokies ran away with the 88-68 margin, with the victorious outcome never being in question. Junior Trinity Baptiste was reliable on offense in the second half and she finished the game with 17 points.

While the Hokies were dominant on offense, the Wildcats outrebounded them 45-43; Tech allowed 20 offensive rebounds in Sunday’s matchup. This will hopefully be an area that the Hokies improve upon as the season progresses.

The Virginia Tech backcourt was impressive today, as it has been all season long. Mabrey and Sheppard have scored in double figures in all five games to start the season. Their stellar play at the guard position is a strength of the Hokies moving forward.

Up next for the Hokies is the Daytona Beach Invitational: Tech travels to the Sunshine State for matchups against Belmont and Georgia. The Hokies face Belmont on Nov. 29 at 1:15 p.m., while the matchup with Georgia the next day is also at 1:15 p.m. Belmont and Georgia are both 3-2 this season.