No. 25 Virginia Tech traveled to No. 3 North Carolina to play its second-to-last conference game before the ACC Tournament kicks off Nov. 3. A top 10 ACC win would boost the Hokies’ record and benefit them in seeding for the conference tournament.

In the end, the Tar Heels were too much for Tech to handle and it fell short by two goals, 0–2. With the loss, the Hokies fell to 0–4–1 against ranked ACC opponents this season. Virginia Tech has had a hard time grinding out wins in ranked matchups this season; it has not lost a game by more than two goals. Without goalie Mandy McGlynn’s six saves, Virginia Tech could have found itself in an even bigger hole.

Overall in conference play, the Hokies sit at 3–4–2, which brings them to around the middle of the ACC standings. UNC leads the ACC regarding record and has not lost a game since Sept. 15 when it played Arkansas.

It was an aggressive first half for both sides; 10 total fouls were called. Virginia Tech was only able to shoot once compared to UNC’s nine shots in the half. McGlynn was able to make three saves. Zoe Redei nailed the ball into Tech’s goal off the crossbar in the 42nd minute to give the Tar Heels a one-goal lead right before halftime.

Virginia Tech played rough and looked for the equalizer the entire second half but failed to shoot at UNC’s goal. However, UNC was not able to score a goal either. It received its two-goal edge from an own goal off a shot deflected by a Hokie defender in the 87th minute.

It was a disappointing ending to a game the Hokies really could have used a win in, but Tech must look forward to its game against Pittsburgh on Oct. 31. It will be its last chance to build its record before the ACC Tournament begins.